- A Party is a representation of a client. A Client can have multiple Parties representing it. A Party can only represent one Client. Euroclear Clearing and Settlement glossary
* * *party par‧ty [ˈpɑːti ǁ ˈpɑːrti] noun parties PLURALFORM [countable]1. LAW the people or group of people involved in a legal case, argument, agreement etc:
• It is difficult to obtain a ruling from the court if the other party contests (= officially disagrees with ) the decision.
• copies of relevant correspondence between the parties2. third party LAW when two people are involved in a legal case, a third party is anyone who is not directly involved but might be affected by it:
• Touche Ross was criticised for not allowing third parties to see their report.
• Switch from comprehensive to third party insurance (= insurance covering anyone affected by an accident, as well as the person who takes out the insurance ) if your car's value has fallen.3. an organization whose members share the same political beliefs and aims and which tries to get elected to government. The word `party' is often used in the name of the organization:
* * *party UK US /ˈpɑːti/ noun (plural parties)► [C] one of the people or groups of people involved in an official disagreement, arrangement, or similar situation: »
Both parties were happy with the result of the negotiations.► [C] a group of people who are involved in an activity together, especially a visit: »
A party of college students is visiting the factory today.»
Our restaurants offer a discount of 10% to parties of 10 or more.»
There will be 8 people in our party, so we'll need to book a table.► [C] a social event where a group of people meet to talk, eat, etc., often in order to celebrate a special occasion: »
We're having a farewell party for the sales manager.have/throw/give a party »
They're going to throw a party to celebrate a great year.► [C] POLITICS an organization of people with particular political beliefs which competes in elections for positions in local or national government: »
a political party»
the governing/ruling/opposition party»
the Democratic/Green/Conservative Party»
He was elected as party leader in 2011.
Financial and business terms. 2012.